Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mommy Volley

So I decided to switch it up a little. The blog today is dedicated to two players on the USA volleyball team who have children. I was curious about their journeys and what led them back to the court after having a baby.

The questions were:

1. When did you find out you were pregnant?
2. What was your plan to get back to the court?
3. When was he/she born?
4. How long was the recovery time?
5. Where did you play when you returned?

Tayyiba Haneef-Park


1. I found out i was pregnant in July 2009. I was already a month along and didn't know it. 

2. My plan started early by keeping in shape during pregnancy and not using it as an excuse to just blow up and eat what i wanted. I ate healthy and excersized the whole time. I wasn't cleared at the normal time, which think is about 6 weeks, to go back and work out yet so I walked a lot around the neighborhood with Aj strapped to me. When I was cleared i slowly got back into shape through fun stuff like Zumba, Insanity and Spin classes. 

3. He was Born March 7, 2010

4. As I mentioned my recovery was a little longer because of difficulties I had after his birth. I started playing volleyball again around the end of June i think, but my back hurt and I wasn't at full strength. I finally felt like a normal volleyball player around November when my teammates overseas helped me complete the Insanity workout. 

5. My team after giving birth was Iqtisdachi Volleyball Club in Baku which i returned to this year.


The Park Family....... Tayibba, Anthony(Husband), and son, AJ


Danielle Scott-Arruda





I found out that I was pregnant in aug of 09 just before returning to national team. 

2 I played the first three months of my pregnancy. As soon as I was released by my doctor I began walking on the treadmill then I bought the video series insanity. 

3 Julianne was born on April 17,2010 after 17 long hours of epidural free labor and delivery. 

4 my doctor released me 4 weeks after delivery. I was allowed to train with the national team in july after having Julianne in april... Then i went to brazil to play professionally there. It took me about a year to get in better shape than I was before pregnancy. 

5 I played my first season after having my daughter in brazil for BMG Sao Bernardo. 



Dani and her beautiful daughter Julianne.........

Being able to have a child is a huge blessing, but having a baby as a volleyball player is a sacrifice. What I mean by that is. Once you realize you are pregnant there are a lot of mixed emotions. I am sure Dani and Ty were very happy when they found out but as you read their answers above there were commitments even when they were pregnant. 

One day I plan on having a little blessing of my own. It's always great to have a connection with someone who has experienced something you want to go through. You would think that after they had their babies they would want to worry about their families, but they are getting the best of both worlds. :) Dani and Tayyiba are playing overseas and involving their families. I admire how strong they are to find a happy balance. AJ and Julianne are here just in time for the Olympics. How much fun would it be to see then in the stands cheering for their Moms. 

Keep your eyes out for Dani and Tayyiba. They are both truly a blessing. :)