Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's CHRISTmas Time.......

Hello everyone. Today my family and I went Christmas shopping. Every Christmas Eve the family gets together for a party and we exchange gifts. The gift exchange is done by playing Dirty Santa.
            

Rules of the game
  1. In one of the popular versions of the game any number of people can participate. Each participant is asked to bring along a gift worth no more than a few dollars (generally within $30).
  2. The unwritten rule of the game is that the gifts are not bought but are items that one finds lying around the house or the garage, things that are valuable but for which you have found no use.
  3. Each player picks out a number from a hat and according to his or her number gets a crack at picking a gift.
  4. The person who picks the first gift opens it to show it to the rest of the company. Then number two picks a gift and after unwrapping it either keeps it or swaps it with number one.
  5. The game goes on till everyone has had their chance and then finally number one gets to either keep their original gift or swap it with anything else they like.
When the game is over we eat the dinner that is provided and mingle. The cutest thing is watching my little cousins parade around looking forward to Santa's visit. A few of them write Christmas list and they give them to their parents hoping they will get it to Santa. :) I remember when I was younger and I would ask my Dad to help me make cookies for Santa. Sometimes I would sit up waiting for Santa to come. Somethings still remain the same even as time goes on.



All this talk about Santa Claus and presents is cute but do you know the true meaning of Christmas? In case you didn't catch it. The word "CHRIST" in the title is in all caps compared to the rest of the word. That is because Jesus was born during that time. Sometimes I feel people fail to realize the true meaning of Christmas because they are blinded by the presents and Santa.  All children know is Rudolph the red nose reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus, and Christmas presents. At the same time it's expected. 

It honestly took me a while to understand what my parents were telling me. Before we would play "Dirty Santa" my Memaw would have us read a scripture coming from Luke. 

Luke 2: 1-7 :

2:1 Now in those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus to register all the empire for taxes. 2 This was the first registration, taken when Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3Everyone went to his own town to be registered.4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family line of David. 5 He went to be registered with Mary, who was promised in marriage to him, and who was expecting a child.6 While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. 7 And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
  
This is what Dad told me when I was younger: 

-"God sent his son Jesus as our Savior. He was born in a manger to show that everybody was able to have Him as our Savior."

I enjoy Christmas because not only does it deal with God but it allows my family to come together. Just thought I would express how I felt about Christmas. I love my family and I am thankful for all my little cousins. They can't wait for Christmas Eve and neither can I. Happy Holidays everyone and God Bless. Until next time. :) 


      
                                           My Sister and I with a few of our little cousins :)